Friday, March 3, 2017

Perseverance Snapshot- Isaac #2


Perseverance

By: Isaac Korenthal  
Mrs. Krueger’s 5th Grade
February 2, 2017


When I first got to BizTown, we sat down and had a meeting in town square. They asked all the CFOs to head to their businesses. As the CFO of BZTV, I got to sit down at my desk, start working on my computer, and printed everyone's payroll checks. I accidentally looked at a different manual that was a practice one from the school. It listed all fake bills numbers to be paid that I did, but was not supposed to. The lady from the head of BizTown came into my office as I happily celebrated getting my bills done. She asked me what I was doing. I told her that I finished paying my bills, but she didn't understand how that was possible since I hadn't received any invoices. I said, "What?!?" and stared at her in disbelief. She told me that I had looked at the wrong manual and showed me the correct one. I spent the next 15 minutes trying to cancel all my checks. Finally, when I finished, I waited and waited for the invoices to come, but they never came. The only thing that came was an invoice from UPS that said I had to buy supplies from them. It turns out that our ad executive lost our invoices so we never had time to pay them. All this time, I was feeling scared, my legs were tingling and I could barely walk...but I still had to run around and get my job done.


When I got back from break, there was a huge stack of invoices to be paid, bigger than the first stack, at my desk. I had to do all of them, including the first stack. I quickly rushed through the first stack and then I made it halfway through the second stack when most of the companies came to me demanding that I pay these bills. I felt freakishly scared because the bill collectors demanding payment didn't realize how hard I was working.  Then, Alen, the ad executive, dumped a bunch of checks from other companies onto my desk. I had no idea what I was supposed to do with them. I finally realized that I was supposed to deposit them at the bank to pay off our loan. I started to separately print each deposit ticket and ran to Key Bank to deposit them. The bank teller didn't know what to do; the CFO didn't know what to do. The CEO kindly accepted my payment. I was excited that I was finally getting somewhere with paying off the loan. BUT, around 5 minutes later, the lady in charge of BizTown came back, holding the checks. She said they were invalid. When I asked her why, she said, "Because you were supposed to combine all of the deposit tickets onto one deposit ticket and then turn it in. I threw away those deposit slips and starting printing new ones, working out all the checks correctly.


At the end of the day, we were $73 short of paying off our loan. But, because of the TV station running throughout the town, we received $120 and were able to pay off our loan and netted a profit of $56 (which can go a long way in BizTown). I was super excited, but I also felt exhausted! I  Q'sappreciated my dad a lot more.

On the bus ride home, the two boys I was sitting next to were screaming and yelling and shouting in weird voices...so I was never able to sleep like I had hoped. It wasn't until I got home that I was able to eat my lunch because my day at BizTown was so busy. Overall, I loved working as CFO of BZTV. I have made the decision to work hard in life and never give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment